Happy & healthy @ 225

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Overnight Oats!

This recipe has been a breakfast staple for me for years. Its very healthy and nutritious and starts your day off with good fiber and fruit and its delicious! Try it and ENJOY!!

OVERNIGHT STEEL CUT OATMEAL

4 cups water
1 cup steel cut oats (NO this is not your mother's old fashioned oatmeal!) Its also called Irish Oats.
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/4 salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in a small slow cooker (crock pot). Cook on low with lid on for 7 to 8 hours. Stir before serving. I sprinkle a little cinnamon and nutmeg on top. Makes 4 servings.

You may substitute other fruit such as raisins, currants, apple, pineapple etc. (fresh or dried)

It refrigerates or freezes well.

Per serving yields about:
193 calories
35g carbohydrates
6g protein
9g fiber
78mg sodium



Labels:

7 Comments:

At 6:44 AM, Blogger Judith Faye said...

so than how do you reheat the leftover's? Microwave would take out the nutrients wouldnt it?

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Judith Faye said...

The recipe looks very good! I like the fact you can add your own favorite fruit. Steal oats are known for their cholesterol lowering

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!!
And it's about time you share some of your secret recipes, you big lug!
Stay happy & healthy!

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Lynnesota said...

I guess I'm now a GoogleBlogger, whatever that means. (I wonder how I can get a pic attached like MinnesotaJewel ...)
Anyhoo, BIG CONGRATS, BigBill!

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Big Bill said...

Thanks for the comments! I don't think the microwave would affect the nutrient level at all unless you cook the H??L our of it! LOL. I put my fruit and steel oats in a bowl and WARM in in the microwave for a minute or two.

PS: I use one cup of soy, almond or oat milk too. Also a dash of nutmeg and cinnamon will zip up the taste and add to the healthiness of your day!

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Judith Faye said...

Hi Bill, It is better to reheat in a glass bowl and not plastic in the microwave I found that out from a friend online! Something about the plastic and toxins. *grin*

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Judith Faye said...

I bought steal oats yesterday at the Master Bread store in Bemidji. I also got some wild and brown rice mix. The Lady was talking about getting me some "no glutien" bread. I thought she was very helpful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home